- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla and 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup of milk with 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Sift flour, bp, bs, and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl beat the eggs and the sugar for about 5 min (this is crucial, makes your cake fluffy).
- Mix in the oil and vanilla at low-speed.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk (barely mix just so ingredients are wet).
- Bake at 325°F for 40-45 minutes.
I baked mine in two 9″ cake pans sprayed with Pam and floured to make sure it would be easy to release. Once cooled, I cut both cakes in half (makes 4 thin layers) and wrap them in plastic wrap then put them in the fridge (a cold cake makes it easy for you to ice it).
- 2 cups unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 8 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cherry juice (from the cherry jar)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
In a large bowl, beat butter then slowly add icing sugar, milk, cherry juice and vanilla. Beat until your buttercream is nice and smooth. Take out cake and ice it to your liking. I then used cherries and decorated my cake, and sprinkled cocoa powder. The decor is up to you, you can put cherries in the middle of the cake in a shape of a heart or other shapes, you can also put the cherries in between your layers or even dip the cherries in melted chocolate, then put on the cake. Possibilities are endlees…just have fun with it!
Happy Sweet Remedy!